The field of robot vision guidance is developing rapidly. The benefits of sophisticated vision technology include savings, improved quality, reliability, safety and productivity. Robot vision is used for part identification and navigation. Vision applications generally deal with finding a part and orienting it for robotic handling or inspection before an application is performed. Sometimes vision guided robots can replace multiple mechanical tools with a single robot station.
A combination of vision algorithms, calibration, temperature software, and cameras provide the vision ability. Calibration of robot vision system is very application dependent. They can range from a simple guidance application to a more complex application that uses data from multiple sensors.
Algorithms are consistently improving, allowing for sophisticated detection. Many robots are now available with collision detection, allowing them to work alongside other robots without the fear of a major collision. They simply stop moving momentarily if they detect another object in their motion path.
Robotic vision makes processes simpler, more straightforward, thus cutting costs:
- Fixtures: Robot vision eliminates any need for hard tooling or fixturing. Now, products can be identified and applications performed without any need for securing.
- Labor: There are labor and machinery savings that come with robotic vision. There is no need for sorts, feeders or upstream actuators anymore. Nor is there any need for labor to load or orient parts.
In the machine tool industry our automation solutions set the standard for reliability and affordability. When compared to traditional gantries, articulated robotic solutions enable you to…
- Achieve shorter installation time resulting in lower integration costs
- Replace part carousels with pallets for part queing to reduce overall system costs
- Eliminate some moving components such as rotary actuators to minimize maintenance expenses
- Use one robot to tend multiple machines with multiple operations to lower your capital investment
- Have more vaulable floor space available